An Ash Wednesday Prayer!

Today is Ash Wednesday! Today is the day we begin our Journey towards the Cross. As we begin Lent, let us fix on eyes on Christ and strive to become better Catholics and people. Pope Emeritus said “Dear brothers and sisters, let us begin our Lenten journey with joyful confidence. May we feel deep within us the call to conversion, to “return to God with all our heart”, accepting his grace which makes us new men and women, with that astonishing newness which is a share in the very life of Jesus. May none of us be deaf to this appeal, which also comes to us in the austere rite, at once so simple and so evocative, of the imposition of ashes, which we are about to celebrate.” – 2013



"When you fast, anoint your head and wash your face, so that you may not appear to others to be fasting, except to you Father who is hidden.And your Father who sees what is hidden will repay you. Treasure in Heaven." -Mt 6:16



Tip: As Lent begins, ask God's special guidance in your daily prayers, fasting, and penance during the Lenten Season.

Prayer on Ash Wednesday


Lord, it feels like we are embarking 
on a Lenten journey together, you and I. 
The beautiful words in the today's prayer talk about 
the "quiet remembrance of our need for redemption." 
That feels like what I am looking for - 
or what you are looking for in me. 
I want to remember how much I need you in my life 
and how much my life needs redemption. 
I want to remember it clearly and 
in the background of my day today 
and all through Lent.

On this special day, Ash Wednesday, 
may my small sacrifices in fasting be a way to clear away 
the clutter in my life to see you more clearly. 
May my longing for meat and other food, 
help me to focus my life today more outside myself. 
Let me be aware of those who are in so much more suffering than I am 
and may I be aware of them as the brothers and sisters you have placed in my life.

Lord, I know there is darkness 
within me and around me. 
Bless these days with your Word. 
Let your Light shine in the darkness. 
Help me long for that Light 
until we celebrate it at the Vigil six weeks from now.

And most of all Lord, 
help me to honor this day with the ashes 
on my forehead. 
They help me remember where I have come from 
and where I am going. 
May I acknowledge to you my sins 
and my deep need for your 
loving forgiveness and grace. 
I pray that this Lenten season 
will make me so much more aware 
of how much I need your healing in my life.
Amen.




Ta, Ta for now!

Comments

Popular Posts