An Advent of Inspiration: Day 4!

One of my favorite parts of Christmas, are the Christmas Carols and now that December is almost here, I can listen to my favorite carols on repeat. "Silent Night" is a favorite of mine, I have been listening to Sleeping At Last's and Lauren Daigle's rendition every chance I get and I never tire of the song. Whenever I hear "Silent Night," I envision Mary singing to Baby Jesus this song as a lullaby for Him in the stable in Bethlehem while the night is peaceful and beautiful. As a member of my church's choir I look forward to singing and hearing this song played because at our church, the lights are turned off and the only lights are the lights on the trees and the Baby Jesus is illuminated and as a congregation we sing "Silent Night." 

Day 4: O Bethlehem.....From you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel; -Micah 5:1




The origin of "Silent Night" is in 1818 in the Austrian Alps, in the small church of St. Nicholas, a group of actors put on a Christmas play because the organ was not working. This performance put the assistant pastor Josef Mohr in a contemplative mood, so he decided to take the longer way home. Because of this, he was led over a hill overlooking the village. From this hilltop, he saw the peacefulness of the snow-covered village. This majestic sight made Him think of a poem he wrote a few years back of the Nativity. He felt inspired to turn this poem about the night when angels announced the birth of the long-awaited Messiah to shepherds on a hillside into a Christmas Carol. So he enlisted the help of the Church organist, Franz Gruber, however the organ was broken and they only had a little time before Mass would begin. Nevertheless, Gruber composed the musical setting in a few hours and was able to play it on a guitar instead of an organ. On Christmas Eve, the congregation were blessed to be the first listeners of this beautiful song. The story continues when the organ-builder,  Karl Mauracher, came to fix the organ, when he fixed it, Gruber began to test it out by playing "Silent Night." Mauracher was so impressed that he made copies of the song and passed it around in his village, there, two well-know family singers,the Rainers and the Strassers, decided to use this song in their Christmas specials. These family singers spread the song "Silent night" across Europe. Today, "Silent Night" is sung across the world in every language and is beloved by all who listen. 



Fourth Day of Advent Prayer 


Lord of all,
you are a God of plenty, a Lord who provides
for us in our need.
As I begin these early days of Advent
help me to believe that you know what I need.
Give me the courage to listen to your voice
and the freedom 
to open my heart to the graces you are 
offering me to place my trust in you.
Amen.

Ta, Ta for Now! 



Comments

Popular Posts