An Advent of Inspiration: Day 24!

Only Three more Days til Christmas, on the third day of Christmas, My True love gave to me Three French Hens, and you know the rest. The "Twelve Days of Christmas" song actually has  Christian origins. This carol originated in England during the the time when it was a crime to be Catholic. This song with its fun rhyme scheme and lyrics that sound nonsensical is actually a "catechism" song meant to teach the English children the pillars of the Catholic faith. The song was used as a mnemonic because they could not teach the children with paper in fear of imprisonment or worse, death. The "true love" in the carol is God and the "me" is every baptized person. Each gift also has a meaning!



Day 24: He has come to the help of His servant Israel
for He remembered His promise of mercy. -Luke 1: 54-55




The Twenty-Fourth Day of Advent

Oh, Jesus, you hold the key 
that will unlock my constricted heart. 
It gives me great hope 
that Mary said yes to you and your plan. 
She was filled with the Spirit 
and put aside her own doubts.

I know you are ready to answer my prayers, 
ease my doubts and calm my fears. 
Sometimes I don't hear your messengers 
because they aren't what I expect. 
They aren't wearing wings or halos 
but are the people standing in front of me.

How many times have I not listened? 
How often have I balked at your messages 
and your messengers?

Fill me with the light of your Spirit 
and enter, in all your glory 
into my life. 
Let me rejoice!

Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel 
Shall come to thee, O Israel!

Amen.


Ta, Ta for Now! 

Comments

Popular Posts